Sunday, November 7, 2010

Bea the Owl

I really loved Bea's owl costume this year for Halloween. It turned out way better than I thought it would. And yes, I made it. (I'm an art director, people. I do this kind of stuff for a living. Well, sorta.)
Like I've said before, I don't sew. But I can iron. This entire costume was ironed onto two pieces of 1-inch upholstery foam with heat-fusing transfer paper. I think I went through 15 yards of the stuff. But it worked like a charm. (Pretty much destroyed my ironing board cover and a few fingertips, but that's OK.)


I didn't have a pattern, but I sort of made one from an owl-themed baby shower invitation I designed last year. The retro owl "look" has been very popular lately, and I really wanted to make it work as a costume. 


The best part was, it was soooooo soft. I used polar fleece and felt fabrics, inside and out. I knew it would have to be super cozy or Bea wouldn't wear it. She liked it so much, she lounged on it like a pillow.
She won BEST COSTUME at the WSU Trunk-or-Treat party. But once again.... my best intentions for a fun costume turned to tears. Bea tripped going up some neighbor's stairs when we were trick-or-treating and did a face-plant onto the cement. Ouch. An ugly bruised chin and lots of sympathy candy later, she was OK.


Oh how my kids have to suffer for their mother's love of Halloween.

3 comments:

Razzle Dazzle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Razzle Dazzle said...

I love this and my daughter loves owls. How did you attach the two pieces of foam together? This is so adorable that I would love to try and make but not sure I am as crafty. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!!

Project Denneler said...

It's not easy to see in these photos, but there's actually a third, shorter & thicker piece of foam on top that the front and back pieces are glued to. I think I used lots of 3M Super 77 spray glue to attach the foam pieces together. (It's also covered in the brown fleece fabric.) This piece sits on top of my daughter's head and helps the costume rest comfortably. I also made a popsicle costume the next year in the very same way. You might check it out for some helpful tips.

http://www.projectdenneler.com/2011/10/purple-popsicle.html


Here are a few other photos of the owl costume from the side.

http://www.projectdenneler.com/2010/10/trick-or-treat-test-run.html

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...